Spire is a 160-person company developing products providing public- and private-sector customers a uniquely precise understanding of what’s happening in the world in areas like weather, air traffic, shipping, and more. We apply statistical and machine learning techniques to proprietary sensor data from 70+ Spire satellites in combination with third-party inputs, and make insightful data products available to our customers via specialized Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) value-added web applications, and other methods.
Your role is to work with the growing weather products team to deliver high-quality data and products to organizations around the world who are using Spire’s private satellite constellation and proprietary numerical weather prediction system to support their businesses. You will be specifically involved in the creation of a Spire-based Application Programming Interface for a diverse set of weather products.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Collaborate with our software engineering team as they implement new algorithms in operations
- Creation of an Application Programming Interface for weather data.
- Support the weather products team to ensure customer satisfaction
- Enhance our internal processing and analysis environment
- Provide technical support to sales staff
Qualifications / Experience:
What we definitely need:
- Prior experience working with meteorological or oceanographic datasets in distributed computing environments
- Demonstrated experience with the development of high quality Application Programming Interfaces.
- A deep knowledge of Fortran, preferably in high-performance computing (HPC) environments
- Proficiency with Python and its scientific-processing infrastructure (conda, NumPy/SciPy, Matplotlib)
- Working knowledge of meteorological datasets and formats including GRIB and NetCDF
- The desire to own your domain and see a project through from conception to support in operation
- Experience with modern software engineering principles and best practices
- Understanding of atmospheric processes and phenomena, particularly those that are disruptive to society
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Prior experience post-processing numerical weather prediction data
- Prior history with HPC and/or distributed computing at scale
- Desire to adhere to the core tenets of the software development lifecycle
- Experience with cloud IaaS platforms such as AWS