Spire Global is a 150 person space data company founded in 2012 that designs and operates one of the largest satellite constellations in the world, and several analytics applications. The company owns the entire stack from custom hardware to customer APIs. We are hiring at several levels of seniority.
The core Space Program team, which produces a firehose of sensor data from one of the world's largest satellite and ground station constellations, designed and operated in house. This team includes the infrastructure group, which develops all the software automating the operation of our constellation.
Several Data Product teams, which develop API-based products that deliver insights into weather, aircraft activity, maritime activity, and more based on the sensor data firehose.
As a member of Spire's infrastructure team, you will be working on aspects of our (satellite and ground station) constellation automation. The team is split into Ground Services (configuration management, data lake, telemetry, etc), Constellation Data Pipeline (schedule optimization, satellite, and ground-side automation, data downlink, etc), and SPEED (developer tooling). Our software is written in Python and runs on AWS, the satellite's onboard computer, and the computers at the ground station sites.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Contribute to data products that have a strong social impact: weather monitoring, ship, and aircraft tracking, and more.
- Join a team that is unusually deep and broad: backend web services, distributed and embedded systems, electrical and mechanical engineering, RF, DSP, AI/ML, etc.
- It’s a space program. Write code that runs on the ground and in orbit.
- Our San Francisco office offers a great environment for doing technical work.
- You get to work on technical problems that are different from your average web app.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Have a good taste: see the big patterns and instinctively know the right way to do things.
- At least 4 years of software development experience.
- Domain flexibility, good communication skills, and preference for simple, robust solutions.
- Experience with interpreted languages (ideally but not necessarily Python).
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures.
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience with system languages (such as C, C++, Go).
- Hands on DevOps experience. Familiarly with tools like Docker, Ansible, Terraform, AirFlow, Jenkins, AWS.
- Product mentality: figure out how to maximize value.