We're Zapier's editorial team, on a mission to teach everyone to be more productive at work. We do this through the Zapier Blog and Learning Center, sharing the best tools and productivity tactics with more than 1 million monthly readers.
To be sure we're providing our audience with the most up-to-date and accurate information about the best software and strategies, we're looking for an Updates Editor to oversee a library of nearly 1,000 articles. You'll be responsible for ensuring these articles have the latest information (this content ages quickly) and that every published piece is tailored to be surfaced high in search results.
If you not only love editing but also care about the topic you're editing and whom you're editing for—software and productivity tips for busy professionals—you'll thrive in this role.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
- Editing is what you do best. You have at least four years of experience editing content for online audiences, with the ability to simplify complex topics and make writers' work shine.
- You are a grammar and content fact checker—is it MailChimp or Mailchimp? You know how to use a comma, and you can't stand a dangling modifier. And most importantly, you're able to edit someone else's work while maintaining the author's voice.
- You're ready to step in and rewrite a piece, too. As Updates Editor, you'll be responsible for significant updates to articles, sometimes full overhauls of them. You'll also jump in and help author shorter pieces of content on software, productivity, and automation, too.
- Software and online tools are a top interest. You're excited to explore new services like Coda.io, set up your first workflow in Airtable, or investigate Mattermost.
- Productivity at work is a priority. You are driven to be efficient and effective in your job and are eager to help others do the same.
- You're familiar with SEO best practices. You're eager to dig into data that helps you improve existing content for more reader engagement, higher search results, and increased views.
- You're a team player. You realize that the work you do contributes to the company's goals and mission of teaching everyone to be more productive and establishing Zapier as the leading authority on work software and productivity.
- Learning brings satisfaction. When you approach a new subject, you don't let your lack of knowledge stand in the way—even if it requires dozens of Google searches.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing company, so you'll get experience with a little bit of everything. That said, here are some things you'll do:
- Update existing content about work software and productivity (across the Zapier Blog and app directory) to provide the most up-to-date and useful content for readers. Updates can be as small as tweaks to a headline to as large as full rewrites.
- Put SEO best practices to work, including keyword research and tracking.
- Edit the work of Zapier writers and other contributors. Edits include giving high-level feedback, line editing, and proofreading.
- Write content as needed, whether it's a long-form blog post or a quick UX copy adjustment.
- Promote editorial content on social, in our email newsletters, and across multiple other channels.
- Brainstorm topics with writers and help develop other content initiatives that would benefit Zapier users.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Our team of 200+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, and Australia. You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies.
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.