As the Satellite Operations Engineer, you will have the opportunity to operate the Spire Satellite Constellation. You will be responsible for ensuring the reliability of the constellation while working directly with the satellite design team and our software developers to improve the overall performance of the satellites and the associated ground system.
Working with a global 24/7 operations team (including off hours and weekend support), the responsibilities of the role include the operation of the command and control software to meet mission objectives of the satellite constellation during all phases of operation including launch, commissioning, production, anomaly resolution, and re-entry. Satellite Operations Engineers must be able to recognize anomalous conditions and communicate with other teams to support their resolution.
Satellite Operations Engineers are also responsible for developing and modifying tools to automate satellite operations. This includes the development of Python code that commands satellite both during nominal payload operations and to handle anomalous conditions. This requires the development of a comprehensive understanding of Spire's software, hardware, and operating processes.
Satellite Operations Engineers at Spire have a lot of flexibility in choosing and pursuing their areas of interest. This often involves working closely with payload and other engineering teams. This work can include supporting anomaly investigations, mitigations, and solutions as well as supporting on-orbit performance validation and on-ground testing through documentation, execution of tests, analysis of results, and providing debugging support.
Candidates must have experience with the following:
- Proficiency with Python and Linux
- Experience with Github and/or software configuration management systems
- Experience in process automation, from design to software development.
- Experience writing issue-tickets and discrepancy reports
- Experience with anomaly support and troubleshooting
- Experience working in a 24/7 support environment
- Strong data analysis skills (statistics, hypothesis testing, data visualization)
- A detail-oriented personality; careful, methodological, and persistent in tracking down problems
- Candidates must be proficient in English.
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience with satellite command and control software
- Knowledge of satellite bus system operations such as Electrical Power Systems (EPS), Attitude Determination and Control Systems (ADCS) or Communications Systems
- Experience in systems engineering, covering the design, implementation, verification, and operation phases
- Experience of developing spacecraft payload / bus components