Acceleron is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapeutics to treat serious and rare diseases. The Company's leadership in the understanding of TGF-beta biology and protein engineering generates innovative compounds that engage the body's ability to regulate cellular growth and repair.
Acceleron focuses its research and development efforts in hematologic, neuromuscular, and pulmonary diseases. In hematology, the Company and its global collaboration partner, Celgene, are developing luspatercept for the treatment of chronic anemia in myelodysplastic syndromes, beta-thalassemia, and myelofibrosis. Acceleron is also advancing its neuromuscular program with ACE-083, a locally-acting Myostatin+ agent in Phase 2 development in facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy and Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and is conducting a Phase 2 pulmonary program with sotatercept in pulmonary arterial hypertension.
What’s in it for you?
In order to support our future clinical programs, you will use your translational research expertise to explore biological hypotheses and validate therapeutic potential of different drug targets. Reporting to the Director of Preclinical Pharmacology, you will have the opportunity to innovate and impact Acceleron’s development programs. As a lead scientist in our translational and exploratory research activities, you will also supervise tasks and projects and will significantly contribute to the group’s timely deliverables. You will work strategically to identify and develop novel therapeutics for multiple diseases targeting various signaling mechanisms to transform patients’ lives.
What will you be doing?
- You will be designing and implementing novel translational biomarker strategies to help the ongoing clinical development in therapeutic areas of interest
- Collaborating with the research and development group, you will be generating mechanistic proof of concept and help in selecting candidate molecules to transition into clinical development
- As a leader in the TEB group, you will work closely with different functional areas across the company (eg. R&D, PK-PD, Non-clinical and Clinical)
- Partnering with the Director of the group, you will develop the strategy for exploratory research activities exploring new disease areas targeting the TGF-beta superfamily signaling pathway
- Directing evaluation of novel therapeutic modalities that include protein biologics, small chemical molecules and gene editing technologies
- You will enable systematic investigation of signaling mechanisms not limited to target engagement and target validation analyses
- Writing pharmacological reports, presenting data internally in different cross-functional team meetings and externally at various scientific conferences
What are we looking for?
- Ph.D. in biological sciences or related discipline
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in translational research with minimum of 5 years in industry setting
- Demonstrated technical excellence and expertise in Translational medicine; including hands-on experience taking small molecules and/or biologics through preclinical to clinical development.
- Deep scientific knowledge of molecular and cellular biology, protein biochemistry, and molecular genetics
- Understanding of Neuromuscular, Pulmonary or Renal disease areas preferred
- Hands-on experience in gene editing technologies and in-vivo delivery approaches
- Thorough understanding of various disease areas and signal transduction pathways. TGF-beta signaling pathway expertise is a plus
- Handling of human tissue, animal tissue and other biological samples
- Demonstrated experience performing and overseeing in vivo and translational research studies
- Technical and troubleshooting experience in laboratory research technologies including immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, in-situ hybridization and chromatin immunoprecipitation assays, western blotting, flow cytometry and qPCR
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting proteomic and transcriptomic data
- Demonstrated big-picture thinking in order to contribute to the overall strategy of the Research and Development group
- Attention to detail supported by excellent time management, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to approach complex problems creatively and develop innovative solutions
How will you grow with us?
This opportunity will allow you to expand Acceleron’s capabilities in translational research. As a member of a growing company with an active pipeline, you will be able to leverage your skills by taking on an active role in the R&D group and playing a significant part in drug development. You will work alongside passionate team members who will motivate you to learn and grow in your career in a fast-paced environment. Join our team!
*In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.