Spire Global is seeking a junior DevOps software engineer to support its development of weather-related products based upon Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) soundings from its unique satellite constellation.
The candidate will join the weather team to support and develop customer-facing weather-prediction products built on complex scientific-software workflows in an all-cloud IaaS/HPCaaS context.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated engineer to work on a customer-focused development team that is leveraging an unprecedented large volume of GNSS-RO satellite data to create superior weather forecast products. The successful candidate will join the weather team at the Spire branch office in Boulder, Colorado, USA.
Responsibilities of your role:
- The successful candidate will work with Spire weather team software engineers to improve robustness and monitoring of automated operational workflows running 24/7 on a mix of IaaS and HPCaaS resources.
- Focus will be on meeting customer SLAs and on addressing other customer requirements as they emerge. Responsibilities will include collaborating with other engineers in the following areas:
- Participate in iterations of implementation, test, feedback (from customers and other project staff), refactoring, and design updates.
- Manage deployments onto cloud-based IaaS and HPCaaS platforms.
- Improve monitoring of operations automation.
- Perform fault analysis and diagnosis.
- Suggest process improvements.
- BS degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or equivalent working experience
- Familiarity with GNU/Linux
- Strong Python skills, including packing/deployment (conda, PyPI) experience, exposure to scientific Python stack (NumPy, Anaconda)
- Commitment to modern software engineering best practices: Agile methodologies, revision control systems, testing & code quality tools (unittest, Pylint), continuous integration (Travis, Bitbucket Pipelines), configuration-management tools (Puppet, Ansible)
- Excited to support (monitor/troubleshoot/correct) complex workflows on hybrid HPC/cloud platforms, and to help refine and document related procedures
- Proven ability to work as part of a collaborative software development team
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience with compiled languages (Fortran, C) and traditional build systems (make, Autotools)
- System administration experience
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS, etc.)
- Experience working with science teams a plus