Spire Global, Inc. is a small but swiftly growing technology company that is changing the world with space data and analytics. Founded in 2012, Spire designs and operates one of the largest satellite constellations in the world (we just celebrated the launch of our 100th satellite), which it uses to gather maritime, aviation, and weather data. The company owns the entire stack from custom hardware to customer APIs. Operating in four countries across three continents, Spire is a truly international company. We are looking for highly motivated team players who will help us continue to grow on the ground, and in space.
We are seeking a skilled and motivated Export Control Counsel to join our in-house legal team. Your key responsibilities will be to manage and advise on compliance with export control and sanctions laws and regulations (e.g., ITAR regulations, EAR, and OFAC).
The Export Control Counsel will be a member of the Spire Legal Team, reporting to the General Counsel. He or she will also coordinate efforts with Spire colleagues across the world to assure proper and full compliance as well as preparing U.S. Department of Commerce and State Department export authorization requests, periodic registrations, and generally manage export licensing matters.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Maintain and renew existing export licenses. Work closely with company leadership to ensure that Spire’s compliance framework supports strategic initiatives and enables business growth by actively participating in design, launch, and business team meetings.
- Coordinate with members of the Satellite Engineering, Supply Chain, Logistics, and Launch teams to secure internal export compliance audits and reviews. Partner with Human Resources to help meet the personnel needs of a swiftly scaling international business.
- Manage export and sanctions compliance training and provide timely policy updates.
- Represent Spire before U.S. and international authorities responsible for export control licensing, regulations, and policies.
- Ensure that Spire maintains state of the art record keeping practices and employs cutting edge technology in its compliance processes.
- Identify and implement scalable compliance solutions to help Spire grow quickly and compliantly.
- Ability to learn on the job and take on new challenges as the business grows.
- Team player who can work fluidly across a diverse and geographically distributed team.
- Excellent independent judgement; ability to assess legal risks and business impact of compliance decisions.
- Strong written and oral communication (drafting & negotiating) skills.
- Ability to translate laws and regulations into actionable business advice.
- Thorough understanding of U.S. export control and sanctions laws, regulations, and policies.
- Satellite industry and satellite design/operations and/or telecommunications industry experience a plus.
- Relevant regulatory or government experience (e.g., State Department, Commerce Department, FCC, Treasury) a plus.
- JD or equivalent desired.
- Ability to travel to strange and exotic locations, including Washington, D.C.
- Sense of humor required.