Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
You might call yourself a content strategist, UX writer, information architect, UX designer, or other titles. Regardless, you’ll do meaningful product content design work at a fast-growing and highly admired product-driven company with a deep, demonstrated love for products and their content that's driving real change in the industry.
Each content designer at Intercom works on just one single product team as an equal partner to a product manager, an engineering manager, a product designer, a group of engineers, and other roles. Together, they own a part of Intercom, ship solutions to challenging problems, and get feedback directly from customers.
At Intercom, content design is part of Intercom’s product design team (learn about us at intercom.design). So just like product designers, our content designers work deeply on just one product at a time—so we’re not split across 5-10 or more products like at other places. And we have almost exactly the same expectations and career paths for content designers as we do for product designers (see them here), which makes these two roles equal partners.
Take it all together and this means you’ll find yourself doing things like:
- Mapping out how products work together, refining concepts and definitions in our system
- Crafting outstanding user interface copy that helps our customers succeed in their goals
- Working as part of a team to create content design standards, frameworks, and a style guide to help us scale
In short: content design opportunities don’t get better than this. At other places, you’d have to start out by justifying your existence and begging for a seat at the table. Here, we know what you do and we already value it—that helps you focus on doing work that’s meaningful, valuable, and rewarded.
At Intercom, we've had designers in key leadership roles—including at the exec level—from the very beginning. So design has always been at the core of our company's DNA.
We genuinely care about people and value kindness in our everyday interactions. You'll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn and grow no matter how experienced you are.
If you want to learn more about what it's like to work here, listen to this podcast with our content design team manager, check out intercom.design, learn what makes us different, and watch a keynote from our CEO talking about our mission, vision, and the next chapter of Intercom.
Finally, if you’re feeling unsure about applying? We’d still love to talk with you.
What will you be doing? 🚀
- Get great content design work shipped quickly
- Work end to end: translate customer problems into high-level solutions, design workflows, detailed interactions, and visual designs
- Practice first principles thinking to help shape the problem to be solved
- Explore and refine concepts and narrow to the best solution quickly without losing effort
- Create simple, elegant solutions to complex content and information architecture problems
- Iterate based on research findings and feedback from your team
- Work closely with engineers as they build and ship solutions
- Refine and improve the long-term direction of how your product area evolves
- Represent Intercom publicly in whatever form feels natural to you: writing, speaking, tweeting, etc.
- Be a leader, setting examples for other designers and product people and teaching them what you know
What experience and skills do you need? 📖
- Experience designing content for digital products, not just websites or documents
- An appreciation of the entire product development process, from problem solving through to detailed information architecture and content design
- The ability to design systems, not just write words
- The ability to create high-fidelity mockups of your content using Figma, Sketch, etc.
- Excellent communicator of content design work, IA, and your rationale behind proposals
- Excellent self-starter who can deeply collaborate with others
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A healthy balance of humility and confidence.
What about relocation? 🇮🇪
- The role is based in Dublin, Ireland, which is our first and largest office. Most of our product teams and leaders are located here, so you'll be able to collaborate with them closely.
- If you're not living in Ireland, we'll offer generous relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets. Most of our designers have relocated here and have come from all over the world.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done