As a GNSS-RO payload software engineer at Spire, you will be part of a team laser-focused on delivering the critical data powering weather prediction models worldwide, by leveraging GPS / GNSS technology and advanced signal processing techniques in concert with Spire's constellation of nanosatellites. You will build systems to collect and process GNSS signals in real-time, and you will have both the freedom and the responsibility to ensure that they are engineered to survive the harshest of environments: the vacuum of space. If you have both the drive to write high-performance software with a global impact, as well as a mastery of building rock-solid embedded systems, we'd love to hear from you.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Implementing real-time digital signal processing algorithms for GNSS and testing them on a custom embedded board
- Implementing/Testing the onboard data handling architecture with coordination with other payloads and the satellite bus.
- Implementing/testing low-level data transfer and processing functions that interact with the FPGA, RF front end, and peripheral sensors.
- Supporting the on-ground testing campaign through the documentation / execution / analysis / debug phases.
- Supporting commissioning and operation of payload after launch.
- Validating on-orbit performance of the payload by analyzing observation data and satellite telemetry.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Five or more years of hands-on experience working with C/C++ on large-scale software projects
- Familiarity with Linux, and system profiling tools like ptrace or strace
- Strong data analysis skills (statistics, hypothesis testing, data visualization)
- A detail-oriented personality; careful, methodological, and persistent in tracking down problems
- Motivation for contributing to the development of a payload instrument that collects RO weather data
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience designing an embedded Linux system, by using e.g. Buildroot / Yocto, or by customizing an existing distribution, and familiarity with bootloaders such as U-boot
- Experience with designing or implementing GNSS / GPS / GPS-RO / GNSS-R systems
- Experience with any field related to radio science, eg, RF design, EMI diagnosis/mitigation, etc.
- Experience with FPGA / digital circuit design
- Experience with Bash, Python, Ruby, Matlab, and / or Octave
- Experience writing and / or troubleshooting Linux driver / Linux kernel code
- Experience of developing spacecraft payload / bus components
- Experience in systems engineering, covering the design, implementation, verification, and operation phases