Spire is a satellite powered data company that owns and operates an extensive nano-satellite network collecting high-value data from space. We sell data and data analytics products that help global leaders of corporations and government agencies decide what to do next in a rapidly changing world.
Weather impacts a third of the global economy, and about 10% of that is mitigatable weather impact, amounting to about $2.5tn of annual losses in industries like power, energy, logistics, agriculture, construction, and finance. Beyond the financial impact, there is an immense human toll occurring each year, especially in developing nations, due to the lack of adequate weather forecasting in light of increasing extreme weather events due to climate change.
We are looking for a highly driven Business Development Executive to generate an exceptional sales pipeline in one or more global industry verticals for our weather forecasting product. Our information service is differentiated by Spire’s proprietary global forecasting model and unique, highly accurate data from our private satellite constellation. It is enabled by a stellar in-house team of scientists, meteorologists, and HPC experts. The role requires an autonomous self-starter who can also collaborate daily with marketing, product, and engineering across the whole Spire organization. You will map the competitive landscape based on industry, purpose, and forecast type, build a deep understanding of customer needs in at least one global industry vertical, and through intense customer conversations pave the way for exceptional sales starting as soon as Q4 of 2018.
Spire has the 5th largest constellation of satellites in the world, an existing maritime data business, signed the first commercial weather data contract in US government history, and built a team that spans 5 offices in 4 countries. In 2017 Spire was selected as one of Forbes 2017 - Next Billion Dollar Companies. We interact with our colleagues around the world on a daily basis, think globally, and measure our products in terms of how many people they positively impact.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Develop and Own the Spire Weather Forecasting Business Development strategy, execution, and pipeline development
- Develop a thorough “lay of the land” map in the target vertical with competitors, customer needs/wants, pricing information, target customer features, ranking, and universe.
- Develop winning pricing strategy. Drive formal customer validation (ie Letters of Intent) to build an extensive list of highly qualified leads.
- Long history of exceeding performance targets.
- Manage accurate and complete information in Spire’s CRM database
- Ability to create customer opportunities from scratch, seek out value-enhancing partnerships, and collaborate with Spire’s technical and scientific team to drive the direction of ongoing product development based on market feedback
- Participate in marketing events, trade shows, and Company events.
- Key contributor to hiring a sales team towards the end of the year
- Approximately 30% travel
Qualifications / Experience:
- Reporting directly to the EVP of Corporate Development, you are a collaborative superstar, embodying the Spire values of global, reliable, relentless, mighty, and faster
- You have 7+ years of quota exceeding business development experience for weather-related products, services, or functions in at least one of the following industries
- Power (ie. Utilities, PG&E, Scottish Power, RWE)
- Aviation (ie Drones, airlines, airports, air force)
- Energy (ie Solar, Oil & Gas, Offshore Wind)
- Finance (ie CatRisk, Re-Insurance, Weather Risk)
- Weather-forecasting domain experience is not a prerequisite, but you must understand the weather impact and usage of weather information in your vertical of expertise
- You can show a strong track record of developing a greenfield territory on a frequent basis
- Hunter mentality with solid business development DNA and demonstrated success utilizing a well-defined, repeatable framework.
- You know how to repeatedly and reliably identify compelling use cases and value propositions and then communicate them convincingly to clients in a highly relationship driven, collaborative, repeatable process
- Excellent business acumen, communication skills and presence.
- You thrive in a cross-cultural, cross-functional, global enterprise with long-term ambitions and plans
- You bring the level of entrepreneurship, creativity, commitment, time, patience, and humour it takes to grow alignment between business development, product, and product marketing from scratch while working in a quickly evolving organization.
- BS/BA degree or higher strongly preferred.