We’re the leading provider of digital identity management and transaction fraud detection. We support innovative FinTech companies and top tier banks to manage KYC, AML, and other components of ongoing client account monitoring. Alloy’s API enables its clients to access over 50 third party data sources in real-time to improve decision-making and streamline client experiences.
We're backed by venture capital firms that have taken countless companies to IPO like Bessemer Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, Eniac Ventures, and others. We are well-positioned to bring on incredibly talented individuals who can help take us to the next level!
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our newly formed Platform team. As a first in seat engineer on the Platform team, you’ll have the agency to improve product and engineering challenges while working with a team of missionary builders.
- You enjoy being a strong generalist and are not tied down to a specific programming language or function of our code repo
- You appreciate and value clear, frequent and quality communication
- You’re experience in architecting, developing and shipping complex, high quality tooling that has a direct impact to the engineering experience
- You will drive the foundation and standards for engineering solutions across Alloy products and infrastructure
- You’re an autonomous and supportive engineer for teammates who are faced with new challenges
- You’re an experienced backend engineer who likes working across a breadth of products, system architectures and technologies, cross collaborating with teams, and growing professionally
- You are ready to dive into problems, and own key systems and deliver on quality scalable solutions
What you'll be doing
Alloy's product can be roughly divided into two sides—a Django/React frontend web app and a Node.js backend for APIs, data processing, evaluations. We're looking for help maintaining and building out features in the backend that help with fraud detection and classification of transactions, data ingestion, integrating with new clients and 3rd parties, and platform-level initiatives.
- Architect new features
- Work with product engineering squads, understand their challenges and work with leadership to spec out beautiful new exciting features and tools our teams are asking for
- Build them
- You are fully empowered to start with the database design and own the entire development path finishing with API endpoints, triggered events, or manipulating data in our Postgres DB. You'll write good code that brings your features to life. Once they're tested, peer-reviewed, and QA'ed, they'll be deployed to our production environment
- Bug fixes
- What went wrong? How can we make sure it never happens again? We live for the blameless root-cause analysis after getting things back up and running for our clients as soon as possible!
- Support our engineering friends
- Keep the customer success crew in the loop for a feature timeline. Run a SQL query for operations to determine this month's billing amounts. Teach engineers about a new technology you've been learning about. Mentor your coworkers. Help out where you can!
- You decide! It's a small team—the definition of the role is somewhat flexible and autonomy as an engineer in the platform team will allow you to use your curiosity, creativity and drive to define how far you’d like to go.
Skills and experience
- 5+ years experience working in a productionalized environment as a software engineer at hyper-growth startups or fast-paced companies
- Strong understanding of system design and architecture
- Comfortable with microservices architecture concepts and has worked with APIs
- While we like to think of ourselves as "platform-agnostic" in our hiring process, we expect that someone in this role is comfortable with learning new languages to solve problems. Our existing technology stack includes:
- Node.js (the language you'll mostly see and will be working in)
- React/Django/Python framework (Alloy dashboard stack)
- PostgreSQL/Elasticsearch - Our data stores.
- AWS (we do have a dedicated DevOps team but it's good to at least have a passing knowledge of how your code will be running in production)
- Python and shell scripting
- Related degrees are great but we care more about your coding and communication skills than a diploma
Benefits and Perks
- Unlimited PTO and we are remote until 2021 (or until there's a vaccine)
- Company Paid Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 401k with 100% match up to 4%
- $500 to just set up your WFH space - a one time thing
- Monthly Commuter Budget
- Monthly stipend for groceries from Public Goods
- Monthly food allowance for Seamless
- Monthly Gym Contribution
- Annual Citi Bike Membership
- Annual $1k Personal Development Budget
- Four Free Therapy Sessions
How to Apply
Apply right here! You've found the application!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.