- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Data Science
- Industry: Enterprise
- Post Date: 10/13/2021
- Website: spire.com
- Company Address: 575 Florida St Suite 150, San Francisco, CA, 94110
About Spire GlobalSpire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
SAR Data Specialist
As a SAR Data Specialist at Spire, you will be an integral part of a small but agile team focused on developing a high resolution soil moisture product from GNSS-R and SAR data . You will work across the various disciplines of SAR and bistatic radar remote sensing analysis, SAR processing, SAR retrieval algorithm development, and measurement calibration and validation. You will develop the remote sensing algorithms and codes to turn SAR measurements of the Earth surface into valuable products for a wide variety of global customers. You will have the responsibility to ensure that we deliver high-quality, low-latency Earth remote sensing products and the freedom to pursue novel, high-impact applications. And instead of your ideas and efforts sitting on a shelf or hidden in an academic journal, you will see and experience them actually working in space within months.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Develops and programs integrated software algorithms to structure, analyze and leverage SAR data in product and systems applications.
- SAR retrieval algorithm development for the conversion of low-level SAR measurements into calibrated measurements of Earth surface observations and derived products for land surfaces.
- Conducting thorough calibration and validation of the measurements to improve their quality and to document their accuracy and precision for customers.
- Direct experience in satellite SAR remote sensing and data analysis.
- Ph.D. or M.S. in remote sensing, preferably satellite microwave radar and/or radiometry, electrical engineering, applied physics, or related field and a publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong Linux computer skills.
- Experience with programming and analysis in Python (preferred) or Matlab/Octave.
- Strong background in physics, mathematics, and statistics.
- Intimate knowledge of SAR signal processing across data levels.
- In-depth knowledge in one or more of the following surface remote sensing disciplines: physical oceanography, terrestrial hydrology, or cryospheric sciences.
- Exceptionally well-organized, with the ability to go as deep as needed in any project to identify and resolve problems.
- Adaptability to new ideas and the ability to push the envelope of SAR capabilities to deliver unique applications in Earth observations.
- Strong background in SAR engineering and applications.
- Ph.D. thesis topic in SAR remote sensing and downscaling
- Knowledge of radio frequency engineering, including hardware, signal processing, and interference mitigation.
- Experience in calibration and validation of remote sensing data.
- Experience in large-scale data processing systems, including ingesting and analyzing large quantities of remote sensing data from various sources.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.