Coast is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the country’s 500,000 commercial fleets, 10 million commercial vehicles, and 4 million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers, fleets, and the merchants that serve them all increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Coast's mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, and to improve working lives in one of the country’s biggest industry sectors. The company is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds.
Coast is competing and winning with software, and we are building a world-class engineering team. We are looking for front-end, full-stack, backend, and platform engineers. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground level early on, contribute and learn in myriad ways, make key decisions, expand your impact as the business grows, have fun, and learn a ton in the process. If you're practical and business-minded, smart and creative, and excited about the rewards and the energy of an early-stage venture-backed startup, we'd love to hear from you.
The Senior Backend Engineer is responsible for designing and building the distributed scalable server-side ecosystem to enable rapid delivery of features to our clients at scale. We move fast, and your job will be to make the right trade-offs at the right time to be able to evolve our server-side ecosystem over time. The resulting designs will enable multiple teams to move rapidly and independently, We iterate quickly, prioritize learning from our clients, build quality in, and remain ruthlessly pragmatic.
In order to maximize the velocity of our product engineering, we are hiring in NYC and the tri-state area.
The Senior Backend Engineer will:
- build product features end-to-end, from web UI to distributed services back end;
- help shape the initial engineering culture of the company;
- have a voice in early technology and implementation choices;
- guide product engineering teams in their choice of server-side technologies, patterns, and products to find the right tradeoffs between time to market, and scalability, resiliency, evolvability, and security;
- challenge the team to automate, improve process, simplify, raise the bar for quality.
The Senior Backend Engineer must:
- have 6-10+ years experience working with first-class engineering teams with a proven track record frequent delivery of quality software to production;
- have substantial experience with server-side language ecosystems (Python, Java, Kotlin, Golang, Scala);
- demonstrated experience of using Domain Driven Design (DDD) to manage complexity and scale systems across multiple teams;
- deep experience with tuning and scaling relational and non-relational storage in the cloud;
- experience with distributed caching, in-memory grids, search engines;
- distributed locking, concurrency, data- and task-parallelism, consensus algorithms;
- messaging systems (e.g. Kafka, NATS.io);
- deep expertise in API security, authorization, identity management, authentication;
- demonstrate a pragmatic take on microservices, CQRS, event sourcing, immutable architecture, modular monoliths;
- have extensive experience working in cross-functional agile teams in collaboration with product and design;
- be pragmatic and get stuff done;
- be passionate about building amazing products for customers;
- be able to work independently with little oversight or management in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with high-energy and mission-driven colleagues.
Coast is co-founded and led by Daniel Simon, who previously cofounded Bread (breadpayments.com), a leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the world’s top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020, and Andrew Woolf, a former executive at Lyft and Amplify.
Coast is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds – including Better Tomorrow Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, BoxGroup, Foundation Capital, Greycroft, and Colle – and premier angel investors – including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
Coast is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.