Coast is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the country’s 500,000 commercial fleets, 10 million commercial vehicles, and 4 million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers, fleets, and the merchants that serve them all increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Coast's mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, and to improve working lives in one of the country’s biggest industry sectors. The company is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds, and will officially launch in 2021.
Coast is competing and winning with software, and we are building a world-class engineering team. We are looking for front-end, full-stack, backend, and platform engineers. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground level early on, contribute and learn in myriad ways, make key decisions, expand your impact as the business grows, have fun, and learn a ton in the process. If you're practical and business-minded, smart and creative, and excited about the rewards and the energy of an early-stage venture-backed startup, we'd love to hear from you.
The Lead Front-End Engineer role is a unique one for Coast. Our business differentiates itself on the user experiences for our clients, and at the same time we recognize this domain as increasingly deep and specialized. In this role you will work closely with Product and User Experience as well as Engineering not only to deliver new features for our clients, but guide the underlying engineering practices for our increasingly mobile-first user base. We iterate quickly, prioritize learning from our clients, build quality in, and remain ruthlessly pragmatic.
The Lead Front-End Engineer will:
- deliver world-class, mobile-first, optimized, and responsive experiences for our clients;
- chart the path for scaling the engineering organization through the decisions on front-end technology space, from latest technology frameworks to accessibility standards;
- help shape the initial engineering culture of the company;
- have a voice in early technology and implementation choices;
- work to evaluate and integrate critical third-party software and infrastructure including the payments and mobility stacks;
- challenge the team to automate, improve process, simplify, raise the bar for quality.
The Lead Front-End Engineer must:
- have 6-10+ years experience working with first-class engineering teams with a proven track record frequent delivery of quality software to production;
- deep experience working in cross-functional agile teams in collaboration with product and design;
- extensive experience with modern front-end development toolchain (e.g. Storybook, monorepo managers, bundlers) and patterns (e.g. Jamstack, server-side rendering);
- extensive experience with performance optimization (both client-side and server-side), image optimization, static side generation;
- deep experience with accessibility standards;
- deep experience with integrating user research, user experience, and design workflows into front-end development;
- experience with mobile development;
- be pragmatic and get stuff done;
- be passionate about building amazing products for customers;
- be able to work independently with little oversight or management in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with high-energy and mission-driven colleagues.
Coast is founded and led by Daniel Simon, who previously cofounded Bread (breadpayments.com), a leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the world’s top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020.
Coast is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds – including Better Tomorrow Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, BoxGroup, Foundation Capital, Greycroft, and Colle – and premier angel investors – including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
Coast is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.