Coast is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the country’s 500,000 commercial fleets, 10 million commercial vehicles, and 4 million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers, fleets, and the merchants that serve them all increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Coast's mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, and to improve working lives in one of the country’s biggest industry sectors. The company is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds.
Coast is competing and winning with software, and we are building a world-class engineering team. We are looking for front-end, full-stack, backend, and platform engineers. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground level early on, contribute and learn in myriad ways, make key decisions, expand your impact as the business grows. If you're practical and business-minded, smart and creative, and excited about the rewards and the energy of an early-stage venture-backed startup, we'd love to hear from you.
The Lead Platform Engineer role is critical to Coast and could be described with either of DevOps, SRE, or Infrastructure titles. In this role you will lead a team of several platform engineers. You will create and run the platform that will enable the product engineering team to hit the velocity they are capable of. You will design, implement, maintain, and improve our infrastructure, from build and end-to-end testing to canary deployments and multi-region resiliency, from network security to scalability.
In order to maximize the velocity of our product engineering, we are only hiring in NYC and the tri-state area.
The Lead Platform Engineer will:
- maximize the velocity for our product engineering team by taking over their infrastructure concerns, from speedy build and deployment to cross-region availability, from email deliverability to network security practices;
- hold a high bar for quality, discipline, and organization of the underlying infrastructure;
- evangelize, advocate, lead and promote the best practices, whether it is Zero Trust networking or canary deployment;
- help shape the initial engineering culture of the company;
- have a voice in early technology and implementation choices;
- work to evaluate and integrate critical third-party software and infrastructure including the payments and mobility stacks;
- remain relentlessly pragmatic and balance the product velocity demand with the needs of a well-managed platform.
The Lead Platform Engineer must:
- have 6-10+ years experience working with first-class engineering teams with a proven track record of consistent and frequent delivery of quality software to production;
- have experience with one of Terraform/CloudFormation/Pulumi/CDK;
- deep hands-on knowledge and experience developing multi-region applications in the cloud (preferably AWS) with container management solutions (Kubernetes, ECS);
- be able to figure stuff out - the modern infrastructure space is deep and complex, and there are many ways of solving the same problem. You need to be able to go off on your own, research and design a solution, implement technical spikes, and then deliver it with the team;
- have an owner mindset and continuously look for, notice, and implement improvements to our infrastructure, because small continuous improvements matter;
- work independently and lead a team of remote infrastructure engineers;
- be a thought-leader that keeps a finger on the pulse of the industry - latest CNCF graduates, trends in CICD, networking, security, vendor landscape;
Coast is founded and led by Daniel Simon, who previously cofounded Bread (breadpayments.com), a leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the world’s top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020.
Coast is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds – including Better Tomorrow Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, BoxGroup, Foundation Capital, Greycroft, and Colle – and premier angel investors – including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
Coast is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.